Truck Accident Lawyer in Ocala, FL
Serving Marion, Sumnter, & Alachua Counties
Big Trucks Mean Big Danger on the Roadways
Do you know that the commercial trucks you drive alongside every day weigh as many as 80,000 pounds (4 tons)? That’s 20-30 times heavier than your vehicle. If you collide with a big rig, tractor trailer, or eighteen wheeler that has that kind of power, the results can be catastrophic, resulting in serious injury, paralysis, and even loss of life.
Slonaker Law firm can help you bring a legal claim against all responsible parties.
Personal Injury Attorney Richard Slonaker has over 40 years of successfully handling personal injury claims against large trucking companies and insurance carriers. He will work tirelessly on your behalf to help you and your family receive the maximum compensation available for your case. Contact him today for a FREE CONSULTATION.
Truck Driver Fatigue is a Major Factor in Accidents
Truck drivers are known for traveling long distances at all hours of the day and night, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that many suffer from sleep deprivation and disruptive sleep cycles. To ensure driver safety, federal laws are in place to regulate the number of hours a driver is legally allowed to be behind the wheel. Interstate drivers are permitted to drive up to to 11 hours in one shift, and up to 77 hours over a seven day period.
Fatigue is deadly. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) estimates that driver fatigue is a factor in at least 30 percent of fatal accidents, 15% of serious accidents, and has led to approximately 25 percent of insurance losses within the trucking industry.
Fatigue impairs judgement, slows reaction times, and even has the same effect on the body as alcohol.
Additional Causes of Truck Accidents
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Unfamiliarity of roads
- Failure to observe and adhere to traffic signals
- Driving while distracted
- Texting and driving, or using cell phone and driving
- Failure to check blind spots properly
- Technical malfunction
- Brake failure or out of service brakes
- Tire blowouts
- Not stopping at weigh stations, as required by law
- Failure to properly secure a load
- Driving with too heavy a load
- Loading a truck improperly or in a hurry
Injuries in commercial trucking accidents can include:
- Head trauma that can leave victims with devastating brain damage
- Spinal cord injuries that can cause lifelong paralysis
- Deep cuts that can leave disfiguring scars
- Multiple broken bones
- Organ damage
Who is Liable for Injuries Sustained?
There are a number of parties who could be liable for injuries sustained in a truck accident, including the following:
- Truck driver
- Truck driver’s employer
- Owner of the truck
- Company leasing the truck
- Owner of the leasing company
- Owner of the trailer, if attached
- Company leasing the trailer
- Manufacturer of the truck, trailer, or components
Ronald Slonaker has significant expertise in handling complex truck cases and will work with Florida state authorities to determine who was at fault.
We will investigate such things as:
- Who had primary control and custody of the vehicle at the time of the incident
- Driving logs and records, including weigh-ins
- The driving history of the vehicle and trailer
- Maintenance records
- Potential violations of federal and Florida state laws regarding driving regulations
- Past violations of Florida state and federal trucking laws
- Past criminal convictions
- Potential manufacturing defects
The cost of treating your injuries will likely exceed the amount your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance covers. To collect compensation for the remainder of your losses, as well as other damages, Ronald Slonaker may have to engage in insurance negotiations and potentially file a lawsuit for additional damages.
Additionally, if you have lost a loved one in a truck accident, you may have the right to a wrongful death suit.
Ronald Slonaker is a skilled truck accident lawyer who has helped dozens of accident victims recover damages from the injuries they suffered. He is committed to the successful resolution of his clients’ cases and will work hard to obtain a positive result for your case through negotiation, arbitration and when necessary, litigation.
Call the Slonaker Law Firm today for an appointment at 352-629-6656 or after hours call 352-777-8176.