Motorcycle Accident Injury Attorney
Ocala, FL (Marion County)
If you were injured in a motorcycle crash, or dealing with the repercussions of a loved one’s injuries or death, hire an attorney who can help you understand your rights and explain your options regarding the pursuit of compensation.
For over 40 years, Ronald Slonaker has been fighting for the rights of injured riders and seeking justice for their families.
Florida Supports Riders
Motorcycles are increasingly popular in Florida, and the state even hosts popular motorcycle rallies throughout the year, drawing riders from all over the country. Over one million Floridians have a motorcycle endorsement on their drivers licenses, and over 600,000 motorcycles are registered in the state.
Extreme Adventure, Extreme Risk
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, last year saw nearly 10,000 motorcycle crashes statewide that resulted in 440 deaths and more than 9,800 injuries. Those deaths accounted for 19.2% of the total highway fatalities that year, despite motorcycle registrations representing only 3% of all vehicles in Florida.
Since 2001, the number of people in Florida injured in a motorcycle accident has risen by 50%, while the number of deaths has risen by 90%.
Deadly Consequences When Motorcycles and Vehicles Collide
In the United States today, 1 out of every 10 fatal motor vehicle accidents involve a collision with a motorcycle, according to reports from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Many motorists are quick to blame motorcyclists for accidents, and vice versa. Many motorists perceive motorcyclists as reckless, while motorcyclists generally view motorists as careless and distracted.
Causes of a Collision
The most common reason for a car/motorcycle accident is an inattentive or distracted driver who fails to see the motorcycle.
Following are additional common causes for car/motorcycle accidents:
- Left Turns: Car drivers often cause accidents while turning left at an intersection in front of a motorcycle.
- Car’s Blind Spot: Failing to detect a motorcycle in the car’s blind spot is another common cause of accidents. An unsuspecting driver may collide with a motorcyclist as the driver tries to change lanes.
- Hazardous Road Conditions: Motorcyclists need to be wary of loose stones or gravel, and road obstructions such as potholes and fallen tree limbs.
- Weather Conditions: When the road surface is wet or icy, motorcyclists’ braking and handling abilities can be affected.
- Strong Winds: A strong gust of wind can move a motorcycle across an entire lane if the rider isn’t prepared for it. Wind gusts are not just weather-related; they also occur when passing large trucks.
Common Motorcycle Injuries
The results of a motorcycle accident can be devastating and may include:
2. Traumatic brain injury and/or concussions
3. Spinal cord damage and/or paralysis
5. Fractured or broken bones
6. Nerve damage and/or biker’s arm
7. Lacerations, contusions and road rash
8. Neck and back injuries
If your motorcycle accident was caused by the negligence or recklessness of a car driver, you may be entitled to compensation. Compensation will help ease the financial burdens associated with the accident, including:
- past and future hospital and medical bills
- lost wages
- motorcycle repairs
- any pain and suffering you have endured
Ronald Slonaker is extremely experienced in negotiating and litigating with insurance companies, and he will work tirelessly to ensure you are appropriately compensated for your losses.
Helmets Save Lives
While a number of different factors contribute to motorcycle crashes occurring throughout Florida and the rest of the country, the motorcyclist’s lack of protection in an accident is the cause of serious injuries.
Florida law does not require riders to wear helmets. States in the U.S. without helmet laws or with only partial helmet laws have a considerably higher motorcycle accident death rate than those states with full helmet laws in place.
Don’t Wait Another Minute to Get Your Life Back
Slonaker Law Firm will work tirelessly on your behalf to obtain the maximum recovery for your losses. We are well-versed in Florida state and Federal laws and procedures that pertain to personal injury matters, and we will make sure you receive the legal representation and service you need and deserve.
When life changes as a result of a motorcycle accident, contact Ocala accident lawyer Ronald Slonaker today to discuss the options you have available to you, and how you can obtain the compensation you deserve.
Call now at 352-629-6656, or after hours call 352-777-8176.