If you’re involved in a car accident with somebody who has either no insurance or what’s called minimal insurance, for example a $10,000 bodily injury liability policy, then you have two avenues that you can proceed against to recover for your damages. The first would be PIP under your own car insurance policy or the no fault part of your policy that will pay you medical bills up to $10,000. It will also reimburse your lost wages, again, with a total of $10,000 that you can recover under that part of your policy.

Hopefully you’ve purchased what’s called uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage. That’s insurance that becomes in effect the liability coverage for the person that caused your accident. Too many people in Florida are driving with no insurance thinking they’re fully in covered or fully covered for the crash yet when they’re in an accident, you determine or they determine that they didn’t have bodily injury liability coverage. If you don’t have the uninsured, also known as UM, then you’re going to be solely limited to the $10,000 in PIP coverage.