If you’re in a car accident and because of injuries you received in that accident you have to be off work. The doctors put you off work, there are actually two ways you can recover your lost wages.

The first is under your own insurance company policy. The PIP provisions or PIP which will pay you lost wages at 60% of your gross salary provided again that doctor’s given you a slip to be off work. That 60% payment actually represents about what you would net in your regular paycheck before taxes because the PIP benefits are not taxed.

Lost wages can also become part of the claim that is brought against the person that caused your accident and becomes a portion of the damages that the attorney will try to recover for you.