Can I receive money even if the Florida car accident was my fault?
You can receive money in a Florida car accident case even if you were partially involved in causing that car accident. Florida is a comparative law state. That means for every car accident, there’s a 100% of fault attributed to that crash. For example, if you’re in an accident and you’re found to be 25% at fault, the other party would have 75% of the liability attributed to them.
To give you an example, say, you’re case is worth $60,000 and the jury finds that you were 80% at fault in that. They would deduct $48,000 in any judgement or award they would make at it. Mathematical formula, really. You multiply your percent of negligence against the claims settlement amount, or the judgement amount and you can determine how much you’d recover under that accident, or in that accident.